Following on from Part 1, which ended with the glueing of the two layers of MDF.
Once the glue was dry and the clamps & weights removed I set up my Bench Cookie Plus system on the workbench to give a stable base for me to trim the edges flush with my trusty Draper Expert 45368 combination router.
As I’d be cutting MDF I dug out an old hose from the cupboards and attached it to my Dyson (the closest thing I have to a cyclone extraction system at the moment!).
I replaced this part of my Dyson when the attachment fitting clip came off one end about 3 years ago, but kept is because I knew it would come in handy one day. I’ve finally been proved right!
The bare hose fits snugly onto the dust extraction nozzle of the router without any clips etc being needed.
Using a flush cutter bit with a roller guide bearing I trimmed round all 4 edges of the table top, then flipped it over and trimmed again to ensure any areas where the lower surface overhung the upper surface were also trimmed.
It’s not a particularly great finish, but it’s better than it was and this is only for the workshop.
(By a happy coincidence, the 7cm overhang of MDF over timber at each side meant the router was able to pass it without fouling)
I may fit a bit of trim round the edge at some point to protect it. I’m thinking of sealing the MDF with boiled linseed oil or something (research ongoing :))
The table top is now nice and secure and the rubber feet on the planer-thicknesser mean it won’t be going anywhere in a hurry …