Following on from TV stand – Part 1
I’ve finally knocked up a quick sketch of what I want the TV stand to look like:
The shape is similar to the open sided TV stand we have at the moment, but with two rear panels at 90 degrees to each other and two stub side panels.
I’ve tried to ensure the panels fit together nicely when laid out in plan form to ensure efficient use of the 19mm veneered MDF sheets.
Today was nice and sunny and the weather forecast looked better than the rest of the Easter weekend, so I took the opportunity to start cutting the MDF.
I positioned the MDF so that the cut would run between the jaws of a workbenchto ensure it was level and wouldn’t sag or fall during cutting.
It was “interesting” getting the sheet out of the garage and onto both my workbenches and a saw horse on my own! (Edit: I could have done with one of these)
As one veneered side was already slightly marked, I put it facing upwards, so that any tear out or scrapes from my circular saw were on the same side.
Although I heavily scored the veneer before cutting, the cross cut resulted in heavy tear out on the upper face, but the lower face intended to be the visible side has a nice clean cut.
I then ripped a one foot wide strip off the side of one of the 4′ x 4′ (this cut was a lot neater, as it didn’t have to cross the grain of the veneer), then cross cut the 4′ x 3′ into two 3′ x 2′ boards to form the two main uprights of the stand.
The 1′ wide strip was then cross cut with a 17 TPI handsaw to see if that resulted in a neater cut (it did, but I wouldn’t want to cut much longer than that as the blade was starting to wander … poor technique on my part, no doubt)
I’ve decided against biscuits or dowels to join the side and rear panels together. Instead I have cut some rebates on the edges of the side panels which locate into some stopped grooves/housings in the inner faces of the rear panels, rather than a corresponding rebate. The rear panels also use this joint where they meet.
The proximity of the housing to the edge of the panels means I’m unable to clamp a guide clamp either side of the router and there are a couple of rather wobbly cuts where I failed to keep the router pressed against the guide 😦
I’m not very happy with the way the above groove/housing turned out, but since it isn’t visible once the carcass is assembled I’ll probably leave it rather than cutting a replacement panel.
I also cut a rebate into the top edge of all four panels, which will locate into a groove in the underside of the top panel. I’m not looking forward to cutting that, given the issues I had with the other housings …
As the light was fading at this point I did a quick dry fit of the side and rear panels and called it a day.
It doesn’t look too bad so far, but I think this was the easy bit – next comes the cutting of the top and shelves, which are all pentagonal!
I think some of the housings may need a bit of a shave to give a better fit, but I’ll wait until I’ve applied the veneer to the bare cut ends of the MDF before I do that, otherwise I might end up having to do it twice.
I intend to fit the shelves into housings in the side and rear panels (without rebates this time).
When I cut these housings I will use a guide clamp both sides of the router where possible and where it’s not I’ll ensure the guide is on the side of the housing that’s most likely to be visible.