The weather was pretty changeable today, so I still haven’t progressed any of my projects.
I’ve done a bit more decluttering and some odd jobs I’ve been meaning to do for a while:
Taken stuff to the dump
I’ve got rid of:
- some underlay (which I was had kept because I was thinking about using as a non slip router mat, or to cover an assembly table)
- an old rug (which I was considering using on the floor in the workshop)
- two old computers (neither of which were complete or working)
Whenever I’ve done any assembly so far I’ve just used an offcut of carpet, either on the floor or draped over my folding workbenches, so the underlay was just taking up space and I don’t think the rug would have made much difference to the cold and potentially damp concrete floor.
I’m terrible for hoarding old computers and still have several more that are “too good to throw out” whilst also being obsolete and worthless (think Pentium II 400Mhz!) but I’m trying to cut down 🙂
Made a cosy home for my glues
Admittedly the above hasn’t resulted in any more floorspace, but it’s emptied an old “printer stand” (like a shelf unit on castors) which is tucked behind the freezer and this has made space for all my glues where hopefully the heat from the back of the freezer will protect them from the worst of the cold.
Sold something else on eBay
The gas hob I listed yesterday sold today and has already been collected, so there’s only the cooker hood to go.
If it doesn’t sell I’ll probably put it on the local equivalent of Freecycle. Either way I should be shot of it soon after next weekend.
Had some good news
My wife informs me that she’s bought a smaller high chair and we’ll soon be rid of the large blue one that’s currently cluttering up the garage as she’s giving it to a friend 🙂
Believe it or not there is now a lot more space (the above photo doesn’t really do it justice!)
Condensed my “metalwork” tools
I’ve also condensed all my spanners, files, pliers, feeler gauges etc. into a Clarke toolbox that I got a few years ago, which already contained a large socket set and collection of hex drive bits.
I’d forgotten I had the feeler gauges and was considering getting a set, so that was nice!
I also rediscovered my hex security bits which I bought ages ago to get into one of the obsolete computers!
Catalogued my spade bits
I recently bought some Irwin spade bits to get some larger sizes. When I bought it I couldn’t remember the full list in the Titan set, so I was pleased to find there’s not too much overlap:
My Titan set contains: 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25 (note the set linked above does NOT seem to contain all these any more)
My Irwin set contains: 12, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32
So the complete list is: 10, 12, 13, 16*, 18, 19, 20, 22*, 25*, 28, 32 (so only 3 duplicates, which I’ve starred)
Measured the garage
I’ve been meaning to get some accurate dimensions for a while and I finally have (it was a bit easier post decluttering).
I’ve knocked up a Sketchup model that I can use to play about with different layouts.
The garage is about 4.2m x 2.1m overall, with a small alcove which holds the gas central heating boiler for the house.
One day I may find alternative homes for the freezer, bicycles and other trappings of family life, or perhaps it’d be simpler to just build myself a nice big shed …
Achieved more than I thought
It didn’t seem like I’d achieved much today until I wrote it all down!