I was given the dimensions of the base of the saw in advance, so I was able to prepare one of the two mobile bases I got from Rutlands in one of their many sales.
(I got two because I was thinking I might one day get a larger planer-thicknesser).
The “instructions” (think A5 sheet with small exploded diagram and parts list) are pretty useless but I was able to figure out how it went together from the various close up photos on the Rutlands website.
The two feet which take the load once the base is lowered off the castors ready for use were very difficult to screw into their lugs on the corner sections, but I was able to use mole grips to force the issue and by gripping the rubber washers above the feet avoided damaging the threads.
A couple of the bolts had to go in at an angle due to welds skewing the heads, but otherwise it seems fairly well made and sturdy.
I can’t work out whether it’s the floor or the base, but only one of the lifting castors seems to actually lift the saw – it’s almost like the other one is mounted too high.
As I have two bases I might try using the castor from the second base to see if that gives a better lift.
I’ve not yet fixed the saw to the base but I may do in future.
The bandsaw arrived in a trailer having been assembled by Homewood.
I was glad to see it wasn’t quite as big as I’d feared when I was trying to reconcile the dimensions in the spec with my tape measure in the workshop before ordering.
I’m also glad to report that my fears about the table proved unfounded. The casting is a little rough in places but it’s nowhere near as thin as it looks in some of the photos.
I get the impression that the mitre gauge slots are nonstandard as they are a small t-slot and the gauge seems to be only a fraction too big to fit the smaller of my two packs of t-track.
I may be being dim though as I’ve not had much sleep this week 😦
The wheels have little weights attached to balance them:
As I was working from home yesterday I didn’t have much time to play – I just gave the table a quick wax to hopefully protect it.
I’ve pretty much exhausted all the funds I had available for the workshop this month, so I’ve also not yet ordered any blades from Tuff Saws. I’ll be calling them next month though 🙂
The workshop is pretty cluttered at the moment, with both folding workbenches up, bits of planes spread on most surfaces and the derusting fluid in my toolbox on the floor!
I’ve spent today reshuffling everything as best I can and there’s now a bit of floor space again:
The saw fits in the “alcove” between the wall cupboards now I’ve removed the wooden shelving unit from the space:
It can be stowed against the wall or rotated out 90 degrees to give more room for in/out-feed.
Should I ever need to rip longer stock it can be fed through the open garage door.
I’ve now fitted some shelves in the upper part of the alcove, positioned to avoid fouling the various levers and knobs when the saw is rolled back against the wall
Now it’s here I can start thinking about the height and placement of the surrounding machinery and benches to ensure the best use of space.
For now I’ve had a bit of a reshuffle and both folding workbenches are now positioned next to each other:
The large sheets of veneered MDF are now stored across the garage and nicely hide the clutter by the door: