Derusting planes – Part 3

It’s been a while since I last posted on this subject and I’ve now built a cylindrical derusting tank from soil pipe that is good for dipping longer planes.

Derusting tube

I managed to separate the blade and chip breaker a while ago without injuring myself again, but I think they may be beyond repair as they’re badly pitted even after several dips and a lot of work with the wet and dry.

No 5 1/2 blade and chipbreaker

The sole of the plane has come up a lot better for some wet and dry and another dip in the derusting liquid last night:

Sole of Stanley Bailey No. 5 1/2 half way through derusting

Before wet & dry

Stanley Bailey No. 5 1/2

After wet & dry and more derusting

There are still a few pits and some scratches, but it’s a lot better than before.

The wet and dry has exposed some nasty scratches on the right side which were hidden by the rust:

Stanley Bailey No. 5 1/2

I don’t know what the previous owner did to this poor thing before it was left to rust, but the scratches look mechanised, like someone’s attacked it with some sort of grinder.

I got a roll of 180 grit abrasive yesterday, so today I laid it out on some MDF and I can now rub the plane up and down the abrasive.

Strip of 180 grit before vacuuming

It seems to respond quite well to a quick vacuum to get rid of the clogging dust:

Strip of 180 grit after vacuuming

The other improvement to my derusting regime is to use my Axminster AWHAG heat gun to dry the parts after they’re dipped. I knew I’d find a use for it one day!

Heat gun and derusted parts

I don’t want to overdo the heat, so I keep it on the lower setting and try not to get too impatient.

My gauntlets are probably overkill for this task, but they stop me from absent mindedly picking up a hot piece of metal …

I gave the No. 5 1/2 another go on this strip:

No 5 1/2 sole almost finished No 5 1/2 sole almost finished

The gouges in the side look a little better now, but I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of them completely:

No 5 1/2 gouges No 5 1/2 gouges

The sides weren’t quite square to the sole to start off with. So far I’ve just tried not to make it any worse but I may attempt to improve matters later.

I always try to get my moneys worth out of the derusting liquid, so as well as the No. 5 1/2 I’ve also dipped my No. 5, No. 3, No. 220, No. 130 and some parts of my 905 breast drill!

Derusted Stanley Bailey No.3

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Hand tools, Restoration, Tools and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s